Homes On Wheels Alliance: MINIVAN NO-BUILD BUILD
Sponsored by Lectric eBikes
If we had our choice we would help everyone who asks, but the reality of limited available finances means that can’t happen—as much as we hate it, we must turn down some people that we would love to help. That raises the question of how do we choose who we say “Yes” to, and who do we say, “No” to? We despise making that decision, but we have no choice, we must make it.
To guide us in making a fair decision we’ve developed this Application Form, it may appear to be intrusive, and we apologize for that, but we feel that it is required to make the best possible decision about who gets the limited money we have.
Our goal isn’t just to help you in this time of need, we want to be as sure as possible that you can thrive and succeed in the future. We feel it would be an injustice to you to bring you out here and set you up only to discover you never had a solid chance to make it in your financial circumstances. Much of the information we’re asking is to help us decide how to best help you now and in the future.
Upon receiving the minivan, we’ll ask that each of you “give back, or, “pass it forward” after you’ve been a nomad for awhile by mentoring and sharing your valuable experience with other new people coming into the nomadic life.
Thank you again for trusting us enough by entrusting us with knowledge of your life, we are looking forward to seeing you blossom and thrive in a wonderful new life, and then sharing that with others.
The Trustees and Staff of Homes On Wheels Alliance
~~ Important Dates ~~
|Southwest Oregon||Applications OPEN||Applications CLOSE||Build Dates||Eligible For|
|First Build||June 1, 2020||June 22, 2020 midnight||July 17 to July 31, 2020||1st and 2nd Builds|
|Second Build||June 1, 2020||July 6, 2020 midnight||August 1 to August 15, 2020||2nd Build|
Successful Recipients’ Financial Need and Resources
The successful recipient will demonstrate financial need, yet still show enough resources for fuel, insurance, and to maintain a minivan mechanically for travel and camping purposes, including enough monthly income to build a savings fund for unexpected mechanical emergencies.
No-Build Build Expectations
During two weeks in southwest Oregon, the recipient will camp and work with an experienced nomad mentor and HOWA staff, receive a minivan, sign their award letter, and complete a no-build build. A no-build build is a vehicle outfitted for camping with ready-made furnishings and a 100W foldable solar panel. The mentor will insure the recipient has a basic working knowledge of the rules for camping on public land, leave no trace principles, how to safely dispose of human waste, where to get water, how to find places to camp, and where to join a caravan (if available), etc. In addition, the recipient will sign paperwork that includes an agreement that will establish an emergency escrow/savings account into which funds will be deposited monthly. A lien will be placed on the title. After three years, HOWA will remove the lien and transfer the escrow/savings to you, less any withdrawals for emergency repairs made to the minivan.
Applicants should be physically able to get in and out through the sliding doors of a minivan, carry insurance, have a valid driver’s license, be able to drive safely and camp without amenities. So that applicants are aware of the limitations of the minivan’s furnishings, and the lifestyle for which the minivan is designed, here are some details to consider
- The cot has a 300lb weight limit for someone 6’6” or less tall.
- The 100W solar power system is for small electrical devices, such as a cell phone, wifi hotspot, led lights, tablet, laptop, etc.
- IMPORTANT. The solar power system will not run a refrigerator, freezer, heater, air conditioner, microwave, blender, CPAP, electric pressure cooker, crock pot, electric blanket, gaming computer, hair dryer, curling iron, etc.
- Personal hygiene items include a 5-gallon bucket with a toilet lid, and spray bottles (and/or baby wipes) for sponge baths.
Here are the steps for the application process:
- Read over the application in order to familiarize yourself with the requirements,
- Gather the required documents and either scan them or take photos of each of them,
- Answer the questions in this application and complete the annual budget found at the end, and
- Email Suanne Carlson at HomesOnWheelsAlliance@gmail.com with all the required documents attached.
- Only applications emailed to HomesOnWheelsAlliance@gmail.com will be accepted.
- The emailed application and all electronic documents are due no later than midnight June 22 for first build, midnight July 6 for second build.