Emergency Funds & Tents for Nomads
The unexpected happens to all of us.
The Nomad Emergency Fund (eFund) Program of Homes On Wheels Alliance (HOWA)
may be able to help with emergencies such as —
unexpected repairs to Nomads’ rigs, groceries due an unexpected cash short-fall, gas funds to get to a job …
The Tent Program is for Nomads (vehicle dwellers) in financial need who require a tent for emergency or medical problems.
Nomad Emergency Fund
If in an unexpected crisis, then HOWA’s Nomad Emergency Fund (eFund) may be able to assist. Here are some general Guidelines to see if the eFund is a good fit.
- Nomads living out of their vehicle,
- In an unexpected risky situation due to a sudden incident, or series of events, that are out of their control, and
- Without enough financial, family, or friend resources to fix their emergency.
Scope of the eFund Program is for people who are:
- Nomads, actively living on the road, and
- Legally driving their “home on wheels” (titled, registered, & insured).
Out-of-Scope not-fundable examples include:
- Repair costs beyond the value of the vehicle,
- Requests for funding to start life as a vehicle dweller, or
- Expected costs such as – loan payments, vehicle registration, tire replacements, battery replacement, brake job, tune up, oil change, etc.
Limit on Lifetime Grant Total: Due to a finite number of dollars in HOWA’s Nomad Emergency Fund, each grantee is limited to a cumulative $1,500 lifetime award. If an emergency repair costs more than the Applicant’s balance from HOWA’s Emergency Fund, then HOWA will offer to combine granted eFund dollars with funds from other sources that are available to the Applicant. By putting an upper lifetime limit for each client, HOWA is able to help more Nomads facing emergencies.
If your needs do not fall within the Guidelines for HOWA’s eFund Program, please check out our Other Programs or reach out to local social services in the area you are located.
To inquire about an eFund Grant:
If your situation falls within the Intent and Scope of the Nomad eFund Program, and is not Out-of-Scope, then email eFund@HomesOnWheelsAlliance.org with the following required information:
- Current location
- Working phone number
- Working email
- Brief description of your emergency
Once HOWA has this initial information, we will walk you through a larger application process that includes providing:
- Electronic copies, sent by email, of your driver’s license, proof of insurance, title (if not with a loan company), registration, and proof insurance.
- Electronic copy of the written estimate on the mechanic shop’s official invoice/letterhead for the total costs to make your vehicle safe for both driving and living, including tax.
- A valuation of your vehicle from Kelly Blue Book, NADA, a dealer appraisal, or documented sales for the same year/make/model of vehicle. HOWA avoids repairing vehicles that need funds beyond their worth as additional major repairs will be likely in the near future.
- Other documentation if requested (e.g., bank statements, a second estimate, etc.).
Tents are granted for emergency and medical needs. Since desert winds are strong and destructive, several Nomads have been granted a tent to replace their tent that the wind recently ripped up.
Tent applicants must be:
- In need of a tent due to emergency or medical problems,
- Without enough financial, family, or friend resources to purchase a tent,
- Available to pick-up and transport a tent that is shipped to them,
- Strong enough to safely lift and carry 50 pounds,
- Proficient at putting up and taking down a tent by themselves,
- Capable of using a 3-pound hammer to secure rebar stakes into rocky ground, and
- Able to securely transport a 6.5′ long x 12″ round disassembled tent in their vehicle.
If you don’t meet the guidelines for HOWA’s Tent Program, please check out our Other Programs or reach out to local social services in the area you are located.
To inquire about a Tent Grant:
If your situation falls within the Guidelines for the Tent Program, then email eFund@HomesOnWheelsAlliance.org with the following required information:
- Current location
- Working phone number
- Working email
- Brief description of why you need a tent
Once HOWA has this initial information, we will walk you through the larger application process for a tent.
Messages from Vehicle-Dwellers Served:
Sent to HOWA’s eFund Coordinator from a client who was sent an application a few days prior.
I want to thank you so much for your service. It is invaluable to us who live on the road. I want you to know that your response to offer help gave me the calm in my heart to slow down and take a moment to fix my car myself. As well I just happened to be near an old friend who let me stay in her driveway while I talked with mechanics and waited for parts. I was able to diagnose the issue as a misfire and order the necessary coil packs as well as swap them out. Gratefully that was the issue.
At this juncture I don’t need the assistance any longer. May your services help another nomad who is in need. I would like to keep knowing you are out there in case I were to be in a similar situation in the future…
Thank you again. So incredibly grateful you are energetically supporting us out here.
From an eFund Client:
“my gosh !! The most heart warming biggest virtual hugs sqeezed with so much GRATITUDE to every single hard working dedicated member of the HOWA team, community, TRIBE!! I feel truly blessed to be a part of. THANK YOU!!!
I will be on the phone in the morning to set up appointment with Tim and will let you know the date. Best morning I’ve had in a long time thank you again. Suzanne
A Thank You from an eFund Grantee:
I want to thank you very much for your generosity. Some might think it not a large amount, but I do not. For me in my situation, this is wonderful…
… Now I’d like to ask, though not in a situation yet where I can, When I can, how can I best help to give back to other nomads needing help? I don’t like to leave things to last minute, so want to know how I can start planning and preparing to help, now. I do have budgeted for August 21 to save $100 each month if possible, and though not much, could start giving out of that, back financially. As well, are there other ways I can start contributing? Thank you again so very much …
… I also want to ask if you would, wherever/whomever the funds came from, to Please give them (and yourself for all your patience and help), a HUGE and very sincere, Thank you and God Bless You all. I will use this wisely and carefully, and truly appreciate it. There is no way I won’t be at the October gathering, assisting however I can… Brenda
Accounting of Grants for eFund and Tent Programs
Last updated May 17, 2023
|EMERGENCY FUND & TENT GRANTS|
|8/15/2019||Two (2) Tires purchased and Installed||$389.29|
|8/22/2019||Brakes and Coolant||$576.57|
|8/27/2019||Heater Hose Assembly||$245.08|
|9/11/2019||Fuel Pump, Manifold Gasket & Other Repairs||$879.37|
|9/26/2019||Rebuilt Starter Repairs||$364.59|
|10/1/2019||Purchased Applicant a Gazelle Loaner Tent||$268.99|
|10/10/2019||Diagnostic for Repairs needed||$77.90|
|10/16/2019||Brake Pads and Drum||$385.62|
|11/22/2019||Gas for heat to keep warm||$50.00|
|11/27/2019||Winter Coat and Butane to keep warm||$100.00|
|12/5/2019||Tow vehicle to Repair Shop for Estimate||$222.48|
|12/16/2019||Donation into Client’s GoFundMe Campaign||$100.00|
|12/20/2019||Donation into Client’s GoFundMe Campaign||$100.00|
|1/3/2020||Donation into Client’s GoFundMe Campaign||$100.00|
|1/31/2020||Donation into Client’s GoFundMe Campaign||$100.00|
|2/25/2020||Parts for Vehicle Repairs||$401.45|
|3/5/2020||Purchased Applicant a Gazelle Loaner Tent||$308.27|
|3/10/2020||Diagnostic Test and Repairs||$400.00|
|3/21/2020||Two (2) Tires purchased and Installed||$148.75|
|8/7/2020||Food and Gas Fund||$200.00|
|8/15/2020||GoFundMe Campaign Donation||$100.00|
|12/07/2020||Battery and Smart Box Donated Items|
|12/26/2020||Steering System Repair||$513.53|
|01/01/2021||Carbon Monoxide Detector, Blanket, and Funds for Warm Clothing||$239.82|
|03/18/2021||Tow and Transmission Repair||$875.00|
|03/31/2021||New Control Arm and Starter||$660.19|
|04/28/2021||Estimate for Repairs||$175.00|
|06/19/2021||Tire and Compassion Grant||$267.41|
|06/18/2021||Tires and Alignment||$669.61|
|07/09/2021||Diagnosis of Electrical problems||$200.00|
|08/23/2021||Wheel Bearings and Engine Mount||$1500.00|
|08/28/2021||Compassion Fund, Catalytic Converter||$837.00|
|o9/10/2021||Compassion Grant, Tires, Ball Joints||$1229.19|
|09/25/2021||Gas and Food||$250.00|
|10/26/2021||Fuel Injector Repair||$255.20|
|11/04/2021||Control Arms, Tie Rods, Alignment||$1290.90|
|11/09/2021||Head Gasket Repairs||$1499.00|
|11/20/2021||Computer Component for Van||$340.38|
|01/01/2022||Gazelle Tent and Stakes||$396.12|
|02/03/2022||Estimate for Repairs||$198.74|
|02/18/2022||Repairs to Misfiring Engine||$436.40|
|02/17/2022||Compassion Grant, 15W Solar Panel, Two Donated Battery Bricks||$153.79|
|05/28/2022||Wheel Bearing Repair||$678.46|
|06/14/2022||Repair Fuel Leak||$339.68|
|06/17/2022||Replace Spark Plugs, Coil,Headlight||$624.95|
|07/22/2022||Aluminet and Pet Cooling Pads||$465.26|
|07/23/2022||Rebuilt Transmission Installation||$1500.00|
|08/30/2022||Additional to 8/26 Brake Work||$140.20|
|09/21/2022||Diagnosis of Oil leak||$150.42|
|09/29/2022||Additional Diagnosis for Oil leak||$150.42|
|10/24/2022||Tow to Repair shop||$350.00|
|11/18/2022||Gazelle Tent, Rebar Stakes, Covid Grant||$573.92|
|11/23/2022||Front End Repairs||$1480.32|
|11/19/2022||Gazelle Tent and Rebar Stakes||$429.84|
|03/02/2023||Power Steering/Gear Box Repairs||$670.68|
|03/02/2023||Spark Plug/Coil Replacement.||$523.02|
|03/08/2023||Rear Differential Repair||$1342.10|
|03/21/2023||Labor to Replace Transmission||$790.00|
|03/30/2023||Rear Differential Repair||$1342.10|
|04/10/2320||Power Steering/ Gear Box Repair||$378.96|
|05/23/2023||Oil Leak Repair||$1500.00|
|TOTAL FUNDS GRANTED||$71,276.49|
- For mechanical repairs, payments are made directly to the mechanic shop.
- HOWA’s processes for granting emergency funds follows Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
HOWA is honored to serve Nomads in emergency situations. We also are very grateful for the generous contributors who make it all possible. Indeed, HOWA works to meet the following constraints:
- Serve Nomads who are in emergency need to the greatest extent possible,
- Follow donors’ intent per the Guidelines of the Nomad Emergency Fund and Tent Programs, and
- Abide by the best practices and laws that govern 501(c)3 charitable nonprofit organizations.
Help Maintain the Emergency Fund & Tent Programs
Your contributions allow HOWA help those in the mobile community
who have no where else to get the assistance they need.
At least 90% of your contributions directly assist those in need within in the mobile community. The remaining percentage goes toward operating expenses to run the Emergency Fund & Tent Programs. If you do not want your contribution distributed in this manner, please make a note with your donation and we will follow your wishes. Thank you!